Sunday, October 19, 2008

I never knew how long the night was

So said my Zion. You see, Zion and his sisters decided yesterday to watch the movie Halloween secretly in their room. As such, last night was the longest night of my Zion's young life. I remember being 8, for that matter 28 and watching a "scary" movie, then again, I am easier scared than others. I am strictly drama, documentary and some comedy type of girl. Anyway, as he entered my room for the fifth time during the night, I had to remember how I felt when I was eight and watched Jaws. It was beyond my young reasoning as to why a shark, as a matter of fact that Shark would not live in any body of water including my bath. I never could have survived a movie like Halloween. So, I gave in and let my baby sleep in my room. Now, tonight the night came too quickly for his power of reasoning to grow and he can imagine his worst fears lurking in every recess of his room.

You see, the worst thing about fear is how fast it grows. It feeds upon its very self. It multiplies as we try to avoid looking at it in the eye. Once confronted it cannot grow. If you give in to the worst possible manifestation of your fear it will now be malnourished. At eight, eighteen even at even at my age we are all battling with our own fears. I asked Zion why he was not scared during the day and the answer was light. See fear loves the dark, the dark of the unenlightened mind, the dark of the ignorance, the dark of a child's unreasoning mind. As we grow we need to shine light on the deep recesses of our mind, eliminating fear.

Now there is such a thing as healthy fear, fear that prevents us from putting ourselves in harms way. However, when fear is coupled with faith and reason it can be eliminated. I am afraid in deep water. Why? Because I cannot swim. So reason prevents me from jumping in with out a thought. Faith and Reason are the weapons used to slay fear. If I could only convince Zion to reason with himself about the impossibility of the events he saw on screen happening tonight, and give him the faith that he will see tomorrow just fine, then I would have done my job. But I cannot, because the mind reasons with itself when its ready and strong enough, not when its weaken by the growing monster, fear. I once read, "To be alive is to know fear, to really live is to conquer fear!"

P.S. You know I had to punish them for watching a rated R movie, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment