Sunday, December 28, 2008

Receiving, the joy in giving

My holiday was great. Though I must admit, it was exhausting and at the same time incredibly satisfying. The lesson for me this holiday season was to learn how to receive. Giving comes easy to me, as it probably does to most mothers, for that matter, women in general. Receiving well that has to be developed. In order to receive anything you have to learn how to ask, and for most of us growing up with parents from the generation that believed your needs will be provided to you and anything beyond that was just plain out of the goodness of their heart, asking does not come naturally. Learning to ask for what you want is an on going lesson for me. Prior to the holidays, the kids would ask what did I want, I told them to use their imagination. In all reality there is plenty I want, books to read, journals to write, gloves to wear, etc. But listing these seemed too self involved. I find that I do this often with the man I spend my life with, its as if I want him to know my wants telepathically....but this is another post all together.

As I make my 2009 Becoming ME List - I like this way more than resolutions, being more self involved will be top on that list, which of course has to do with what value I place on myself. So valuing me more will also be high on that list. This season and all others receive with as much confidence as you would if you were the one giving. Say thank you and savior the moment that someone else thought you were special enough to think of you in such a memorable and beautiful way. Receiving well is the joy to be had in giving!

2 comments:

  1. What better way to show those you love that you trust them than to ask for what you want and know that they love you enough to want to get it for you because it will make you happy. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your holiday. You nailed it by saying that we are uncomfortable to ask for what we really want and when we receive the very thing that our heart desire, we tend to exhibit some sort of embarrassment. Asking for materials things especially during the holiday season is uncomfortable for most of us since it’s a time that focuses on giving and not receiving. However, we are comfortable asking for immaterial things, it comes more natural to us but at the same time there is nothing wrong with asking for what you want

    ReplyDelete